Thursday 28 May 2009

A beginning

How did I get in to the tarot?

Like most people, I was a teenager once.... ;)

The mother of one of my school friends gave me my official introduction to the tarot when I was in my early/mid-teens. I'd seen the cards before that on television and in films, but this was the first time I'd actually got to handle a deck and have it explained to me. So thank you Sheila, if you're reading this.

Fast forward several years, and my first live-together boyfriend was a warlock (he was an interesting chap) who also practiced tarot. Some might think life was hinting at me a bit. :)

It was a while before I got a deck of my own. ... My favourite graphic novel artist Dave McKean was the illustrator for The Vertigo Tarot, written by Rachel Pollack, with an introduction by Neil Gaiman - what's not to like? The moment I saw it I was hooked. This was the deck for me, knew it in my bones.

I started reading for myself, and after I'd got my head around that for a while, (we're talking many years) I started reading for others as well.

It does take a while to get to know your own intuitive processes, and learn the difference between imparted/osmosed information and general crap your unfettered brain spews out ... focus is the important thing, and learning the feel. I'll have to work out how to explain that a bit more clearly....

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

potdoll said...

ooh, I'm so lucking forward to following this blog. exciting!

Eleanor said...

Any questions, just ask! :)